“When did Mr. Stone win his 1st gold medal???” Is a question I commonly ask my students as part of my rally speech prior to heading out to a tournament.
“Green Belt!” “Red Belt!” “White Belt” is what you can hear shouted out amongst the eager students.
The answer… “2nd Degree Black Belt.” That’s right, not until after I was a 2nd degree Black Belt did I win my first 1st place medal.
“Students, win or lose, go out there,have a great time and do your best.
- If you do your best each time you will be getting better.
- You will be making progress.
- You are competing against who you were last week, last belt, last tournament.
- Win a Gold Medal For yourself.
- Ask yourself, “was that a gold medal performance for ME?
And if You do this, one day you will earn a gold medal. I was a 2nd degree Black Belt before it happened to me. So be patient, keep your head down and keep working to be a little better each day. And have fun, otherwise what’s the point.